1984-1996 Corvette Antenna Mast Repair
What's Hard:Removing the old C4 antenna is required and difficult so a service manual as an additional resource would be helpful.
A big cost savings here that can be completed by those with some mechanical experience and a few free hours.
Ratings are based on overall difficulty level of the procedure.
- Articles that receive fewer stars will require less mechanical ability, basic tools, shorter time and little or no additional help to complete.
- Articles that receive more stars are for more confident mechanics who have a larger collection of tools. These will most likely require additional help and take longer to complete.
Our Complete Rating System
- 1 Star: No mechanical experience is necessary.
- 2 Stars: Very limited mechanical experience is required.
- 3 Stars: Mechanical experience is helpful but not necessary. Possibly a good first project for those with more confidence.
- 4 Stars: Mechanical experience is a big plus. These jobs are not recommended for first time DIY projects.
- 5 Stars: Mechanical experience is a must. These jobs are only for experienced mechanics and most should opt to have these professionally completed.
- 1 Star: Does not require any tools to complete the job.
- 2 Stars: Common tools required to complete the job.
- 3 Stars: Common tools required. More advanced tools might help complete the job easier.
- 4 Stars: Common tools, more advanced tools and possibly special tools are required to complete the job.
- 5 Stars: A professional tool collection with advanced and special tools are required to complete the job.
- 0-1 Star: Time spent to complete the job will not exceed 1-hour.
- 2 Stars: Time spent to complete the job will likely fall within 1-2 hours.
- 3 Stars: Time spent to complete the job will likely fall within 2-3 hours.
- 4 Stars: Time spent to complete the job will likely fall within 3-4 hours.
- 5 Stars: Time spent to complete the job will require 4+ hours.
- 1 Star: Does not require any additional help to complete the job.
- 2 Stars: An extra hand would be nice to save your back but not required.
- 3 Stars: A helper to complete this job would make for a much smoother operation.
- 4 Stars: An extra hand is highly recommended and possibly necessary but the helper may or may not have mechanical experience.
- 5 Stars: A helper is highly recommended and likely necessary. We recommend getting help from someone with mechanical experience.
Broken power antennas seem to be a common problem on 1984-1996 Corvettes. There is a fix though, without having to dish out big bucks for a new power antenna - and the repair is a fairly simple procedure. Removal of the antenna assembly from your Corvette is required, so refer to your service manual to obtain the procedure for removing the antenna assembly from your C4 Corvette. We contacted Zip Corvette Parts, 8067 Fast Lane, Mechanicsville, VA 23111, 1-800-962-9632, and bought their C4 Corvette Antenna mast replacement kit.
For the rebuild, you will need a flat-blade screwdriver and a drill for drilling out the four small rivets in the antenna housing. You won’t be replacing the rivets, so don’t worry about replacements. The procedure should take about 15 minutes once the antenna is out of your C4 Corvette. Follow along as we rebuild your 1984-96 Corvette antenna.
Source: Zip Corvette Parts
8067 Fast Lane | Mechanicsville, VA 23111 | (800) 962-9632